Thursday, February 9, 2012

Scenes you can see in every Korean Drama

Love Story In Harvard

If you watch Korean dramas enough ( what's enough?!) you will realize that there are certain scenes that are repeated in every drama.No really,EVERY drama.Now some of them are nice,some of them are stupid and some are downright irritating.Here are some of those scene.
1-Piggy back riding:

This scene is in every drama,okay maybe not in every drama but in 1 out of 2 dramas there is a piggy back ride scene.In fact this was the scene that prompted me to write this note in the first place.
Before watching K-dramas I didn't even know that people gave piggy back rides to people who are not children anymore.But it seems like it's a really normal thing to do in Korea. Usually the scene goes like this: the girl gets drunk,can't walk straight so the boy gives her a piggy back ride home(now I have no idea why they don't just get a taxi instead of carrying the person all the way home!) or the girl is wearing high heels and she twists her ankle ,can't walk hence the piggy back ride scene.Again I don't know if it's me who's too strong or if these Korean girls are too weak cause I've twisted my ankle wearing high heels a lot of times but it was never like I couldn't walk at all,I mean you limp but you walk!
Another time that you can see this scene is when the girl gets sick and the boy piggy back rides her to the hospital.This one is so stupid it's hilarious.Haven't the script writers ever heard of 911? No?Taxis?Probably not.I mean for crying out loud why would you carry someone sick on your back and run to the hospital??
Best piggy back ride scene: Han-gyul gives a piggy back ride to Eun-chan in coffee prince.Neither one is drunk or injured and it's just a sweet thing that Han-gyul does.
Worst piggy back ride scene:In beautiful days the girl faints and the boy piggy back rides her to the hospital.I don't remember the name of the characters.
Most annoying piggy back ride scene: In my lovely Kim Samson ,Samson gets drunk and the boy gives her a piggy back ride.She starts acting really badly,she throws up and even pees on him.It's so gross. I really hated that scene.
Coffee Prince

2- Heroes who are jerks:
In k-drama land most of the heroes are filthy rich jerks who happen to be geniuses as well.In the first few episodes they are rude,cold,annoying and they make the life of our poor heroine a living hell.However little by little they change and sometimes they change so dramatically that by the end of the last episode you think that maybe aliens have abducted the jerk and they've sent one of their own to pose as him,or maybe it's the clone of the jerk or even better, his twin brother(I say better cause brother sisterly issues are so popular in k-drama land!). Though sometimes they keep their annoying behavior all the way to the end which makes you wonder how in the world the heroine fell for him!
The jerk who changed a lot: The guy in beautiful days
The jerk who became a little less jerky but still a jerk:Hwan in Brilliant Legacy
Brilliant Legacy

3-Heroines who are angels:
Unlike heroes in k-drama land ,heroines are completely sweet and innocent.They are always really chirpy and bright even if they're having a really bad time.Sometimes so chirpy it's annoying.A lot of them are also quite dim and they act all so cutesy.I guess Korean people like these naive cutesy girls more than strong independent ones.(I blame legally blond for that!) .In my opinion naivety is not a trait that needs to be glorified.One more annoying thing about these heroines is that they are always so damsel-in-distressy!They always need help from a guy whether it's our jerk hero or our wonderful second lead which I'll talk about later.Grow up people,is what I always want to shout at these girls.
Angelic but quite dim heroine:Gu Mi-nam in you're beautiful
Angelic damsel in distress: Probably Choi Ji-woo in all of her roles
Winter Sonata


4-Perfect second male leads :
There is something that k-drama watchers call "the second lead syndrome" and it means liking the second lead more than the hero and getting your heart broken into a million pieces for him because after all, he is the second lead and he's not going to get the girl in the end.Every k-drama watcher has at least once suffered from this syndrome.Why? Because usually the second leads are the sweetest the most wonderful human beings on the face of the planet.They always help our heroine,listen to her,become her shoulder to cry on and love her a thousand times more than our hero.The fact that they are always played by really handsome guys should not be forgotten.Now how on earth can our heroine not fall for him instead of our jerk of a hero is a mystery that no scientist can ever solve.
The perfectest of perfect second male leads: Jun-se oppa in Brilliant Legacy
Brilliant Legacy


5-Bitchy second female leads:
Again unlike our perfect second male leads our female second leads are the meanest,cruelest ,the most horrible creatures this planet has ever seen.They lie,they cheat they manipulate everyone to separate our hero and heroine.Some of the things that they do are so demonic that makes you wonder if they are actually creatures of the underworld rather than human beings.
Bitchiest second lead:Can't choose one.They are all equally bitchy.
Personal Taste


6-Wrist grabbing
Ah this scene.This awful terrible scene. This scene is sooooo annoying.No,let me make it clear,it's infuriating.I HATE HATE HATE this scene.And it's in every freakin' drama.The boy grabs the girls wrist and violently forces her to go with him and when he wants to release her again he does it in a violent way again.Sort of like throwing the girl.What's the point of this scene?To show that our hero is strong?That he is a MAN and he can manhandle her?What is it the 15th century?? And don't get me started on the forceful kissing and hugging scenes.Physical violence is not romantic.Stop using that in your dramas!
Dramas with the most wrist grabbing:Brilliant Legacy and Prosecutor princess
Prosecutor princess

7-Kissing scenes
There are three types of kissing scenes in Korean dramas.The awkward kissing scene,the normal kissing scene and the HOT kissing scene.
The awkward kissing scene is the most common kissing scenes in k-dramas.When our hero wants to kiss our heroine, for some unknown reason she turns into a bug-eyed statue who is pressing her lips so hard that no power in the universe can open them.Therefore the poor hero has to do all the work and to no avail.Even watching it is awkward.
You Are Beautiful

The normal kissing scene: It's like every other kissing scenes in every movie or series. There is nothing  special about it.It's just a kiss.
The HOT kissing scene: Now you might not find these in most of the dramas but there are some out there and they are wonderful.I can't even describe it.Let me just say that after you saw those kisses you would wish that you had a time machine and one of those freaky Friday stuff so that you could turn back time,change bodies with the actress who was in the scene and play the kissing scene yourself.
Most awkward kissing scene:You're beautiful
Hottest kissing scene:Flower Boy Ramyun Shop
Flower Boy Ramyun Shop


I hope you enjoyed my list and if you're wondering why after all this ranting about k-drama cliches I still watch them and thoroughly enjoy them,I have no idea.There's something strangely endearing about them that no matter how stupid and cliche they are you still wanna watch them.Watch one and you'll get what I mean.

8 comments:

  1. ^_^ I decided to comment to let you know you weren't alone I stumbled across your journal today. However I've been watching kdrama's and other asian dramas and shows for as long as I had a computer.

    And yes there are a few things most/all dramas have but you find yourself waiting for them sometimes... because over there they are there versions, and american shows have tend to share a lot of sometimes as well. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kayo
      Thanks a lot for your comment:)
      You're completely right.American movies and series are full of cliches too,like when they go to an empty home and they start yelling " hello?" or every time there's an accident there's also an explosion...I can go on forever...But since I love movies in general I love all of them.And you're right sometimes we are just waiting for that cliche to come...It's very interesting.
      Anyways I haven't seen any non-Korean dramas.Any suggestions?
      Thanks again for your comment.It made me really happy:)

      Delete
  2. Only three posts? As a K-drama addict, I found your entries pretty amusing! Looking forward to more to come. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god,I'm so glad you liked my posts.I'll try to write more.Thank you so very much:)

      Delete
  3. Hi there!! I must admit that I really enjoyed reading your posts. I find them funny and amusing. I totally loved them and I loved your sarcasm.
    I hope I can read more of your posts soon :)
    From Algeria.... FIGHTING!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww!Thanks a lot.You made my day!I'm so glad you liked my posts.I'll try to write more:)

      Delete
  4. you are soo sooo right. i mean i wathced so many dramas that i think i'm going nuts from all those stupid kissing scenes, or loving and putting up with the jerk when you can chose the wonderful guy, who is in some cases more beautiful, or richer. and i really hate the grabing hand thing....in some dramas is so weird put...like in the middle of a crowd:)).....and doesn't it hurt? i'm amazed the heroines don't have bruises after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, You're right.I always wsnder about the bruise thing as well :)
      Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete