Monday, February 6, 2012

Confessions of a Korean drama addict!


Three years ago,if someone had told me that someday I would become a Korean drama addict I would've laughed at their faces,maybe even gotten angry at them.I was too much of a highbrow to even consider watching anything eastern.In fact I didn't know anything about Korea other than the fact that it was in the  east and its capital was Seoul.I had never seen a Korean person or heard one talking . So when my brother said that he'd been watching a Korean TV series and that it was great I thought that something had gone terribly wrong with his head!! I couldn't believe him.He,who was even more of a highbrow than I was.He had bought the DVDs for the series and he gave them to my mom.What happened after that was we didn't see my mom for a week !!! No,she was not abducted by aliens, she was just too busy watching 80 episode of that said series non-stop.


I couldn't believe what was happening in my house! First my brother and then my mom who couldn't stand sitting in front of the TV for more than 2 hours would stay up all night watching 4 or 5 episodes back to back AND in Korean.A language that was so strange for me.All the intonations were different.Every sentence would end in a high note which made it sound really weird,like they were asking questions all the time.I used to poke fun at them every now and then for their lack of taste and would go to my room and watch my collection of American series .

But then it happened and it happened so quietly that I even didn't understand how it actually happened.There was this TV series that my mom used to watch on TV ,it was called  "Princess hours" or "Goong" I didn't care about it at all. Every time it was on I would roll my eyes , pass the TV and go straight to my room and log on the internet.I could hear it from my room and since it was dubbed  I could understand it.Little by little I realized that I could not concentrate on what I was doing when that series was on.I was listening to it from my room and I was starting to really really like it.So one day I looked around me and to my utter surprise I realized that I was not in my room but in the living room in front of the TV and was waiting -not-so-patiently I might add- for that series to start.What had happened to me?Was I the same girl who used to shun every eastern production??

Soon I was so in love with it that I couldn't wait a week for the next episode so I went and bought the whole thing and I watched and finished it in a day.I watched 8 episodes back to back.I laughed,I cried ,felt angry ,relieved,in love ...

So just like that it started.Soon I was looking for another series,then another ,then another and now three years later I'm still in love with them.I have learned a lot about Korean language and culture,which is so fascinating.Heck,I can even read a lot of words.Something which I thought was completely impossible.

The thing is these Korean series are completely different from everything else I had watched before.If they are made right,let me repeat, IF they are made right(cause there are a lot of really bad ones as well) they can touch your heart in a way that no western series can. They can make you laugh so hard that tears will run down your face,they can make you bawl so much that no amount of ice will be able to reduce the puffiness of your eyes for a week,they can make you pissed so bad that you might wanna throw something at the TV(or someone!) ,and they can actually give you physical pain! I can't remember how many times something in my chest literally hurt when my hero or heroin had his or her heart broken ... oh and they all have a love triangle ( which by now you should how much I love one of those things!)

So from now on I'm going to write about the dramas that I love and I don't care if no one ever reads them.Writing is something that gives me joy and since at the moment I'm all out of ideas for writing something original I'm going to review my favorite dramas.
So just wait...(or don't!:))

2 comments:

  1. I ended up on your post because of a search I did after noticing how many love triangles there are in Korean dramas. It's one thing I don't like about them, because - if there's going to be a love triangle - I want one of the love interests to be a bad guy (or girl), so I can root for one and boo the other. I'm watching "Operation Proposal" now, and hate the fact that the Coach is probably going to get his heart broken, yet he's such a nice guy. Even after your post, I still don't understand the Korean obsession with love triangles. Oh well...

    Anyway, you made a comment that sure hit the nail on the head, about how deeply these dramas can touch one's emotions. I felt like putting my foot through my computer (which is what I watch these programs on) whenever the rich guy's mother was onscreen in "Secret Garden." I've laughed so hard so many times during so many scenes in various K-dramas. And, now, while watching "Operation Proposal," I find myself weeping like a baby, unable to stop (and that is SOOOOO unlike me!!!). Very powerful writing! I only wish they would clean up the language, but that's probably a hopeless wish anywhere in the world these days. (And maybe it's just the translators that do the captions...I don't know.)

    Anyway, appreciated your post and wanted to comment. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comment.It made my day!:)
    I actually haven't watched operation proposal yet,but from what I've heard I have to say that yeah, you're in for a major heartbreak!
    At the moment I'm watching nice guy live,which was such a bad idea because I'm constantly on pins and needles and I can't skip to the end and see what is going to happen to my poor hero and heroine.It's so wonderfully amazing and the love triangle is so different from typical Korean love triangles...If you have time in the future,watch it.But I suggest you wait for it to finish and then marathon it.It's much better for the well-being of the heart!:)
    Anyway,thanks again for your comment:)

    ReplyDelete