Friday, November 16, 2012

6 things I loved about Nice Guy / The Innocent Man


So the pleasant torture(I wasn't a masochist before this show,I swear!) that was Nice Guy a.k.a The Innocent Man finished last night and I have to admit that I can finally go to sleep at night without thoughts about Maru,Eun G, Jae Hi and Joon ha.Granted I'll still think about them every once in a while but the constant worrying is now over.Watching Nice Guy over the past 3 months was such an exhausting yet brilliant experience.It totally absorbed all my energy and I was emotionally drained throughout ,especially in the last 2 weeks.I felt like I really wanted to watch it and yet I also didn't want to watch it.I was in fact so scared to watch it,I had no idea how the story was going to end and therefor I dreaded watching it so much.But I finally gathered all my courage and watched the last episode just a few hours ago and I have to say it ended so ....Hey!Did you seriously think I would give away the ending with no warning what so ever?!Don't you know me at all?!Oh,right,you don't know me,but do know that I hate spoilers!
Anyways,regardless of how it ended there were so many things that I loved about this show and I really had to write about them.So I made this list ( hmmm,maybe I should add "listing" to my talents category in my resume!) of 6 things I absolutely loved about Nice Guy.As to why I chose 6?I don't know!I loved 6 things!


1- The cold open
This was the first Korean show that I'd seen that had a cold open.Which was lovely.It heightened the intensity of the show and I loved it with a capital L.And it always revealed so many things from the previous episode's ending.


2-The opening credits
This was by far one of the most beautiful opening credits I had ever seen in a K-drama or in any series for that matter.The music was perfect ,the theme was perfect and most of all Song Joong Ki's expression was just beyond perfect.What can I say I just loved it to pieces.



3-The directing
I can't say enough of how brilliant the directing of this show was through out the series.First of all it was really pretty to look at.Those scenes that were shot in Japan,did you see them?Wonderful...Secondly,the director toned down a lot of overly melodramatic scenes that were written in the story.Yes,the fact is that Nice Guy IS a melodrama but the directing is so amazing that a lot of times you just forget that you are watching a melodrama.The flow that he had in going from one scene to another was just absolutely brilliant.(Hey,Shirina!You know there are other words in English than brilliant and amazing,right?!)


4-The writing
I have to say I had never watched any of Lee Kyung Hee's works other than "Will it snow for Christmas?" and Han Ye Seul's acting was so bland in it that I dropped it after a few episodes.So I had no idea what kind of a writer she was.I just knew that a lot of her stories ended with a death or two and that really didn't help wanting to watch this drama.So I started to watch Nice Guy just out of curiosity.I wanted to see how Song Joong Ki can pull off a villain,and I was pleasantly surprised when I saw how the story was well thought of and so well-written.The characterization was just ( can you guess what adjective I'm about to use?!) brilliant.These are not your usual black and white characters.These are characters who ,like everybody else in the world, have more than one dimension.They are human in every possible way.They love,they hate,they get angry,they make bad (really really bad) decisions.And their biggest problem isn't dealing with a monster in law or a stupid misunderstanding.These people have huge problems and so so many issues.All of them would make great cases for a psychoanalyst. We have Maru who has a Messiah complex,whose sole purpose in life is to save damsels in distress,we have Eun Gi who's suffering from daddy issues and trust issues and then Jae hi who has so many issues I can't even count.These characters along with our side characters made an ensemble of one the best and most -wait for it- brilliant characters in the history of Korean dramas (that I've watched).


5-The acting
If the story sometimes became a little bit crazy the acting definitely made up for it.I always liked Song Joong Ki.He was the best part in "Will it snow for Christmas?" and together with Yoo Ah In they made Sungkyun Kwan Scandal a really entertaining watch.But to be able to act like that,wow,I never would've guessed...Here's a man that can smile so sweetly in one second and then turn that smile into the scariest smirk ever.The way his voice changes every time he's talking to Jae hi or Eun Gi or Choco,the way he looks at each one of them with a different expression,the way his eyes smoulder and then freezes...It's just -you guessed it right!- brilliant!And boy oh boy,if the boy can make you cry with a single drop of tear! I'm generally immune to crying scenes in Korean dramas but one single tear from Song Joon Ki turned me into a sobbing mess!I was sitting in front of my monitor crying buckets of tears and really really loudly I might add...
Moon Chae won and Park Shi Yeun are equally brilliant.Mon Che won had some problems in the beginning but when she got into her character she was wonderful (See,I do know other adjectives!).


6-Park Joon Ha
May I say that Park Joon Ha is and probably will always remain the bestest of the best second male leads? He's a person who's always there for Eun Gi,who's so gentle and so understanding and the best part about him is that he's not clingy!Spoiler ahead...
Anyone who says that loving does not mean possessing will forever be the perfect character in my book.
 End of spoiler


So this was my list.I hope you enjoyed it and I hope you'll enjoy Nice Guy as much as I did.I learned so many things from this little drama but the biggest lesson that I've learned and I sincerely hope Song Joong Ki's character Kang Maru has learned is that SOME TIMES WEARING SOCKS IS JUST NECESSARY! :D:D

No comments:

Post a Comment